Many things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s morning memo.
common courtesy, man
Texas Governor Aides and Allies. Greg Abbott (R) is privately upset that the Governor of Florida. Ron DeSantis (R) did his Martha’s Vineyard stunt (which involved the Florida governor rounding up Venezuelan immigrants at the Texas border) without telling Abbott first, according to the New York Times.
- After all, the Abbott team complained, the immigrants came from the territory of the governor of Texas, and he’s just as committed to exploiting them by sending them to “blue cities” as DeSantis!
- DeSantis privately lamented to donors last year that he wasn’t as lucky as Abbott to have that delicious US-Mexico border to use as racist political capital. the Times also reports.
The Republican representative clarifies that she did not fire a staff member accused of sexual harassment
Rep. Mayra Flores (R-TX) claimed Saturday that she had fired her campaign’s district manager over sexual harassment allegations against him because “[w]We will not tolerate any of that behavior.”
- It turned out that Flores had “spoken badly” and that the official had resigned, the Republican lawmaker’s campaign told the Texas Tribune later on Saturday.
- The sexual harassment allegations against the (now former) district director allegedly spanned decades. He has denied the accusations.
Georgia to replace breached county voting machines
Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger (right) Announced Friday that the voting equipment in Coffee County will be replaced after pro-Trump agents gained access to it thanks to one of the state’s fake Trump voters.
- The team is being replaced specifically to bring “perennial election deniers and conspiracy theorists” to STFU. according to Raffensperger.
- Maricopa County in Arizona Similary he had to throw away his voting equipment thanks to the electoral negativism of MAGA. The county paid nearly $3 million in taxpayer funds to replace the equipment because it had been subject to the Arizona State Senate’s bogus 2020 election “audit” and election officials had no way of knowing if the equipment had been tampered with. fake auditors.
Gaetz unlikely to face charges in traffic case
Career prosecutors recommended against filing criminal charges against Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) in the Justice Department’s sex trafficking investigation, according to the Washington Post. political has confirmed that the Republican congressman is unlikely to be charged.
- The main problem reportedly is the dubious credibility of key witnesses, specifically Gaetz’s ex-girlfriend and his friend Joel Greenberg, Gaetz’s accused wingman who pleaded guilty to child sex trafficking and fraud.
- According to reports, DOJ officials have not yet made a final decision, but the Post notes that it’s rare for them to ignore such advice.
- Gaetz had reportedly pushed for a pardon related to Trump’s sex trafficking investigation near the end of his presidency. At least, that’s what former White House senior adviser Johnny McEntee told the House Jan. 6 Committee during his testimony, according to the mail.
Italy will elect the most far-right government since Mussolini
The far-right Fratelli d’Italia (Brothers of Italy) party, led by anti-immigration agitator Giorgia Meloni, is projected emerge victorious in Italy’s early elections. The Brothers of Italy party has its roots in post-World War II fascism that was founded by Mussolini loyalists.
Cheney Plans to Campaign Against Real Electors
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), vice chair of the House Jan. 6 Committee, on Saturday fiance to actively try to take down Big Lie acolytes, Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake and Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano.
Arizona judge allows near total ban on abortion in the 19th century
Almost all abortions are now illegal in Arizona (the only exception is to save the life of the mother, none for rape or incest) according to a state judge on Friday. gotten up a 50-year blockade on abortion prohibition dating back to 1864, when Arizona was not yet a state.
WTF Reading of the day
Kids will be able to buy hard drugs without fear under GOP policies, McCarthy promises
Here’s the big pitch from House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) ahead of midterms:
Do you like Morning Memo? let us know!